Press Release, December 20th 2014. NYC – London.
Artist Paolo Cirio has hacked the paywalls of the most influential financial newspapers
– Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, and The Economist – breaking through their checkpoints every day to liberate over 60,000 pay-per-view items published over the course of 2014.
Now, he redistributes this copyrighted content for free and pays everyone to read it.
His paid-to-read schema is a circular economic model in which profit generated from huge amounts of pirated content is invested into informing and educating the public about institutional crime and corruption, while offering rewards to critical journalists.
With the massive amount of appropriated content, the artist has created his own online and printed newspaper called Daily Paywall. He has edited 15 issues of his paper covering the main topics of our time. For each issue he has selected featured articles which expose major economic injustices and contradictions. Readers receive $1 for responding correctly to simple questions relating to these articles, thereby incentivizing analytical and critical thinking around the story.
The Daily Paywall newspaper is distributed on the Internet and in printed versions disseminated in undisclosed spots throughout NYC in unauthorized racks for free papers. See Daily Paywall newsracks in NYC.
Beyond advocating the open circulation of knowledge, the project proposes a creative economic model designed for social and educational aims. The visionary concept behind the artistic performance and these socio-economic matters are introduced in his essay.
Don’t miss another recent project by Paolo Cirio, Global Direct, which outlines and campaigns for a new creative political philosophy:
A few shows featuring Paolo Cirio in 2015:
– Exhibition at Utah Museum of Contemporary Art in U.S.
– Lecture at FutureEverything in Manchester, UK
– Incubation at NEW INC. studio in NYC
– Exhibition at Centre Culturel Bellegard in Toulouse, France
– Solo Show at NOME, contemporary art gallery in Berlin, Germany
– Exhibition at Apexart gallery in NYC
– Exhibition at ISEA2015 in Vancouver, Canada
Current exhibitions with Paolo Cirio’s works:
– Open Society Foundation in NYC
– DOX Centre for Contemporary Art in Prague
– Palazzo del Governatore in Parma